If you need a last minute appetizer, this Easy Basil Lentil Dip is exactly what you need. Cold, packed with flavors and vegetarian friendly, even your meat eater friends will love this too!
Lentil usually is not my choice of food, but I can’t tell you how much I love this lentil dip. I can eat a bowl of this as dinner. Don’t let the word “lentil” scare you. You will change your mind about lentils after trying this recipe.
It’s actually my friend that introduce us to this dip. We went to his house party and he made this. He told us that he actually learned it from his wife’s cousin. The cousin went to Trader Joe’s and got a bite of this lentil dish from the sampling stand. And just like that, it traveled all the way to me. And I just have to share with all of you.
This recipe is unbelievable easy! Just 3 ingredients (not included black pepper and salt) and a trip to Trader Joe’s. Get the ready-to-eat lentils, bruschetta sauce and a pack of fresh basil from the fridge isle. That’s it. Chop the basil and toss everything together. You get the freshness from the basil and tomatoes along with the mild nuttiness and earthy flavor from the lentils. Take out some tortilla chips and you will be at a happy place.
You can actually serve this as a side dish like a salad. But we like the contrast between the crunchy chips and the slightly soft lentils. This cold dip is refreshing for a hot summer day. Give this a try!
Easy Basil Lentil Dip
- 1 pack ready-to-eat steamed lentils (17.6 ounces)
- 1 container Bruschetta Sauce (14.5 ounces)
- 30 – 35 fresh basil leaves (finely chopped)
- Ground black pepper
- Salt (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl, gently separate the lentils with your hands. Do not use a fork or spoon as you don’t want to mush the lentils. Once separated, add the bruschetta sauce. Toss together gently with a large spoon. Add basil and toss again. Taste and adjust with ground black pepper and salt if needed. Serve as a side dish or as an appetizer with tortilla chips.
- I bought all my ingredients from Trader Joe’s.
- For those of you who don’t have access to Trader Joe’s, you can try to find steamed lentils in your local grocery stores. If not, you can cook them like this. The sauce could be hard to find, you can try this recipe.
- This recipe can be served as appetizer or side dish.
- For storage, the dip can be kept in an airtight container up to 2 days.