These Guava Mozzarella Crostini will have your guests craving for more! Sweet guava spread and gooey cheesy mozzarella are perfect together on mini toasts. Done in 15 minutes!
Guava and mozzarella sounds like a weird combination, right? But you have to trust me, the flavors are fantastic!
This recipe is inspired by a Brazilian pizza. There is a restaurant in Los Angeles that serves Brazilian flavored pizzas, called Bella Vista Pizza. They have many unique toppings, like beef stroganoff, chicken with corn and cheese, guava with mozzarella, chocolate with strawberries and condensed milk. They may sound a bit funky, but they actually all taste very good! The best thing about this restaurant is that they do all-you-can-eat. They go around with a plate of pizzas with few different flavors, so you just pick a slice or two that you want. Doesn’t it sound like a dream? Lots of fun! But yea, the flavor that stuck with me the most is the guava with mozzarella. It’s sweet, gooey and savory at the same time! So I thought of putting all those flavors together on mini toasts.
These crostini (means “little crusts” in Italian) are the perfect appetizer. They are super easy to make! It will take you only 15 minutes! Guava paste is sweet and floral that can be found in Latino grocery stores. It’s like a jam but even more reduced, so it’s dense and thick. First, cut them into tiny slices. Add to a microwave-safe bowl with a little bit of water. Microwave until hot and soften. Mash and stir to break up the paste and turn into a spread. It’s ready to be used. For the baguette, cut 1/3 loaf into slices. Brush with olive oil and toast in the oven. Top with mozzarella and bake again. Last, dollop a little of guava spread on top and warm it up for a couple more minutes. There you have some beautiful crostini with an excellent blend of sweet and savory! If you are making these for a party, make some extra! Because everyone will go crazy over these, and you never want to not have enough!
I will be off next week. I am going to be preparing my Thanksgiving dinner. Although it will be a small dinner, I still want to make sure everything goes well. See you after Thanksgiving! Have a feastful Thanksgiving!
Guava Mozzarella Crostini
Yield 15 crostini
- 4 ounces guava paste (cut into ¼-inch slices)
- ¼ cup water
- 1/3 loaf French baguette (cut into ½-inch slices)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 – 9 pieces mozzarella cheese slices (cut into 30 pieces)
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F (204˚C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the guava paste slices and water. Microwave for 30 seconds or until soften. Stir with a fork and break up the guava paste until spreadable (lumps are ok). Set aside.
- Place the bread slices on the baking sheet. Lightly brush the top with olive oil. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and place 2 slices of cheese on top. Back in the oven for 4 minutes. Remove from oven and dollop about a teaspoon of guava mixture on top. Return to oven to bake for another 2 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a serving plate. Serve immediately.
- Guava paste can be found in Latino supermarkets or from Amazon. If you are lucky enough, you maybe able to get them some gourmet grocery store, like Bristol Farms. That is where I got it.
- You can use shredded mozzarella cheese too.
Need a few more dishes for Thanksgiving? Here are some ideas: