Guys! I have exciting news! The blog has a NEW look! With the help of Bryan, I have been working hard for the past few weeks to switch to a new host and new look. It is finally coming together. You may still see a few changes here and there in these couple coming weeks. Please bear with me as I’m trying to finish the update. The most exciting thing for me is the new mobile/tablet version. It looks much better than what it was before. I’m catching up to the real world after all. 😂
Now, back to this week recipe. A very sweet dessert!
Brick toast is very popular in Asia. It is a brick of toasted bread brushed with honey and butter and top with ice cream, syrup and fruits. Even though there is bread involved, it is not meant to be served as breakfast. It is a dessert dish. Normally, the brick toast is 1/3 loaf of bread. Although I love bread, but a third of a loaf is way too much for 2 people! I made an adjustment and used a thick slice of bread instead. Now, that is more manageable.
For the topping, I decided to go with peach. Since the peaches are so gorgeous and sweet right now, I don’t see how I can pass on that. Glaze the peach slices with some bourbon and sugar. Throw them over that golden brown crispy toast and scoop over creamy vanilla ice cream. What a way to end the day!
Bourbon-Glazed Peach Brick Toast
– 1 thick slice of soft white bread (1 – 2 inches thick)
– 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
– 1 teaspoon honey
– 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream
– 1 medium ripe peach
– ¼ cup water
– ¼ cup light brown sugar
– 2 tablespoons bourbon
- Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 340˚F (170˚C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut the peach in half, remove the pit and cut into ½-inch slices. Set aside.
- In a medium pan over medium-low heat, add water and sugar. Bring to a simmer or until the sugar has melted, stirring often. Add the bourbon and cook for another minute. Add the peach slices. Cook for about 8 minutes or until slightly soften, turning them over every once a while. Remove from heat and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, with a bread knife or sharp knife, cut the slice of bread into small squares without cutting all the way through. You want the bread to remain in 1 piece and can be transferred easily.
- In a small microwavable bowl, add the butter and honey. Cook in the microwave for 15 – 20 seconds or until the butter has melted. Mix well and brush all over the top of the bread. Transfer the toast to the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the oven for about 12 – 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Top the toast with the peach slices, syrup and ice cream. Serve immediately.
- My toast may look a bit burnt on the side, but this is how it was when I got it. It is supposed to look like that. 😉
- I recommend using a thicker slice of toast. 1½ – 2 inches are more ideal. If not, 1-inch will work too.
- Soft white bread can be bought from Asian bakery. If you can, buy the one that isn’t sliced. That way, you can cut it into any thickness you prefer.
- Bryan and I both really like the ice cream in it, so definitely add some!
- No bourbon? No problem. Just skip it.