This Smoked Sausage and Corn Loaded Mashed Potatoes is the BEST mashed potatoes ever! It’s smoky, savory and a little sweet. Either to serve as a side dish or as a main dish, it’s really up to you.
Thanksgiving is coming up so soon, but I still don’t know what is going on with dinner. In the past few years, we cooked dinner at home and enjoyed the night with my sister. Yesterday, Bryan told me that one of our close friends are going to stay in town this year, and he would like to do a potluck dinner party. Even though nothing is set, it is likely going to happen at our place. I am definitely feeling a little bit of a pressure of hosting a Thanksgiving party. And yes, that idea of making a turkey scares me. Oh dear… Good thing is that I still have 2 weeks to figure it out. We will see what is going to turn out.
One thing for sure, I have nailed the side dish! This loaded mashed potatoes dish is something my mom used to make during special occasions. My mom’s cooking style is always creative. She doesn’t stick with the traditional Chinese cooking or recipes. She likes to experiment with different things, especially during Christmas. There wouldn’t be rice and stir fry on the table, instead there were baguette, deviled eggs, chicken wings, turkey meats, loaded mashed potatoes and soda (soda is for special occasion only). It is a unique meal that my sister and I love dearly.
In my mom’s mashed potatoes, she likes to add bacon. Bacon is her favorite. I know bacon is heavenly, but this sausage that I used is just as good. It is smoked, which gave a really nice smoky flavor to the mashed potatoes. I cooked both the sausage and corn until there were slightly charred. Then, I tossed everything into that creamy mashed potatoes. Sprinkled with cheeses and baked until golden brown. It smelled incredible and tasted even better. You get the sweetness of the corn, the smoky sausage and the rich mashed potatoes all in one bite. It was very satisfying! Double or triple the recipe, then it would be the Thanksgiving side dish that is extra special and everyone would love!
Smoked Sausage and Corn Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- 5 medium red potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 4 ounces smoked sausage (cut into ¼-inch cubes)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 – 1 cup whole milk
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Peel and clean the potatoes. Cut the potatoes in half. Put them in a medium pot with cold water, and make sure the potatoes are covered by water completely. Season with salt generously. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once the water starts to boil, simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 25 – 35 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F (230˚C).
- Drain the potatoes, and return them to the pot. Mashed the potatoes with a masher or big fork until there is no lump.
- Heat the milk in the microwave for 40 seconds or until warm.
- Put the butter into the mashed potatoes. Mix together with a spatula. Stir in the garlic. Add 2/3 cup warm milk and stir together. If needed, add more warm milk to reach a consistency that you prefer, but keep in mind that sausage and corn will loosen the mashed potatoes a bit more. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add the sausage. Cook until nicely brown, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add the corn and cook until they start to get colors. Transfer the mixture to the mashed potatoes. Mix everything well.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a medium ovenproof casserole or baking dish. Top with cheeses. Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- The sausage I used is Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage. It is smokey and salty, which is perfect for this dish. They are easy to find too. You can get them at most supermarkets’ meat fridge.