I like braising dishes. They are always warm and comforting. Even though we are in Spring now, the weather is still slightly cool and the sky is always gloomy in Los Angeles. It sure sounds like a perfect day for some savory tender chicken. No worries. This is not a really heavy dish.
This chicken dish has many different seasonings. I promise you that the chicken will be packed with flavors. And you will be licking your plate clean with that sauce. Don’t forget to cook rice! You will want them. 🙂
Braised Chicken Thighs with Button Mushrooms (Adapted from Emeril Lagasse via Foodnetwork.com)
– ½ tablespoon olive oil
– 4 chicken thighs
– 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 8 ounce button mushrooms (cleaned and thinly sliced)
– ¾ cup yellow onion (sliced)
– 2 tablespoons minced garlic
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 2 tablespoons tomato paste
– 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
– 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves (coarsely chopped)
– 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
– kosher salt
– ground black pepper
Seasoning for chicken:
– ½ teaspoon kosher salt
– ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
– ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
– ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
– 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
– 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
– dash of cayenne pepper
- Season the chicken thighs all the seasoning.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Place in the chicken (skin side down) and sear until golden brown, about 3 – 4 minutes. Turn the chicken over and sear the other side for another 3 – 4 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the butter and mushrooms, stirring occasionally. Cook until the mushrooms are browned and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 4 – 5 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 3 – 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mushroom mixture and stir to make a roux, about 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste, chicken broth and rosemary. Stir until smooth with no lumps. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Place the chicken thighs (skin side down) back into the pan. Cook for 30 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook for another 30 minutes. Skim the excess fat. If necessary, season with salt and pepper. Transfer the chicken and mushroom to serving plates. Top with the parsley. Serve immediately with steamed rice.