When I say fish taco, you probably would think of the fried crispy fish on a corn tortilla with some lettuce. This fish taco is not the fried kind, but it is absolutely delicious and satisfying. I love the hint of smokiness from the Spanish paprika. The slightly tangy coleslaw, the flaky cod and the creamy avocado were the perfect combination. Juicy fish and crunchy coleslaw. Excellent healthy meal. Enjoy!
Fish Tacos (Adapted from Anne Burrell via foodnetwork.com)
2 servings (10 tacos)
– ¾ pound cod (cut into 10 thick long strips)
– 10 corn tortillas
– ½ Hass avocado (halved, pitted and flesh sliced)
– ¼ cup sour cream
– vegetable oil
Marinade for fish:
– 1/8 cup vegetable oil
– 1 lime (zested and juiced)
– 2 garlic cloves (peeled and smashed)
– ½ teaspoon pimenton (Spanish paprika)
– ¼ green cabbage (shredded)
– 1 ½ green onions (thinly sliced)
– ¼ cup white vinegar
– 1/8 cup vegetable oil
– 1 ½ tablespoon honey
- In a medium bowl, combine the fish, oil, lime zest, ½ of the lime juice, garlic, pimento, and salt. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerated for at least 2 hours. This can be done a day ahead.
- In a small bowl, whisk to combine the vinegar, oil, and honey.
- In another medium bowl, combine the cabbage, and green onions. Add the vinegar mixture into the cabbage mixture. Toss to combine. Season with salt to your own taste. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerated for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For the tortilla, warm up a flat griddle or fry pan over medium heat. Lightly brush the griddle with some vegetable oil. Once it is hot, place a corn tortilla on the griddle. Lightly brush the tortilla with some more oil. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2 – 3 minutes for each tortilla. Transfer the cooked tortilla to a tortilla warmer or a plate with an aluminum-foil-cover.
- Meanwhile, put the fish strips on the prepared baking sheet. Cook in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes or until cook through.
- Taste the coleslaw and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- To assemble the taco, put a cooked tortilla on a serving plate, put a dollop of sour cream in the middle. Continue with a fish strip. Place a slice of avocado over. And top with some coleslaw. Serve immediately.
- I love cod, so I used cod. But you can use any white flaky fish, like halibut, black cod or haddock.
- Bryan and I tried a few ways to cook the tortilla (open-flame, microwave, and griddle). We both agreed that tortilla tasted the best when cooked on a griddle with oil.
- Cut the avocado just before serving to prevent oxidation.