Bored of regular cold salad? Yes, I am not always in the mood for cold salad. As Chinese, I am never used to eating raw and cold veggie all the time. We always cook our vegetables. Steam, broil, stir-fry, or braise. You name it, but just rarely eating them raw. This romaine salad is perfect to bring some warmth in the stomach and some tasty char flavors. The citrus caesar dressing is easy to make and lighter than regular caesar dressing. It didn’t over power the grilled flavors on the lettuce, but gave some freshness to the salad instead. Something new and something different! Hope you will like it!
Grilled Romaine Caesar Salad (Adapted from BBQ Queens Big Book of Barbecue via Foodnetwork.com)
– 1 head romaine lettuce
– shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano
– extra-virgin olive oil
Citrus Caesar Vinaigrette:
– 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
– 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
– 1 tablespoons anchovy paste
– ½ tablespoon grated lemon zest
– ½ tablespoon white wine vinegar
– ½ garlic clove (minced)
- For the dressing, combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk until the dressing thickens up. Set aside.
- Preheat a stovetop grill over medium-high heat.
- Rinse the lettuce under water and pat dry with paper towel. Cut the lettuce in half lengthwise. Brush the lettuce surface with little bit of olive oil. Grill each side of the lettuce for about 1 ½ – 2 minutes.
- To assemble, transfer the grilled lettuce to serving plates. Drizzle the vinaigrette over and top with shaved cheese. Serve immediately.
- Bryan doesn’t like the lettuce to be too charred, so I only grilled it for 1 ½ minute. But you can definitely cook it a little longer.