My mother-in-law gave Bryan and I some shrimps. And, I wasn’t sure what I can make. I went online and found this wonderful shrimp scampi recipe. There maybe a lot of ingredients, but at least, everything is being cooked in the oven. I don’t have to stand over the stove. The best part about this recipe was the topping. The crispy panko and crunchy shallots gave the dish some texture. All the herbs brought out tons of flavors, and the shrimps shined through. It is a beautiful and delicious dish to please your guests.
Baked Shrimp Scampi (Adapted from Ina Garten via Foodnetwork.com)
– 1 pound large (21 – 30 counts per pound) raw shrimp
– 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
– 1 tablespoon dry white wine
– 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
– 3 teaspoons minced garlic
– 3 tablespoons minced shallots
– 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
– ½ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
– ¾ teaspoon grated lemon zest
– 1 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
– 1 extra-large egg yolk
– ½ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
– lemon wedges (for serving)
– ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- For the shrimps, peel, devein, and butterfly. Transfer the shrimps to a mixing bowl. Combine with olive oil, white wine, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Mix well and let them marinate at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mash the butter with a fork and mix in the garlic, shallots, parsley, rosemary, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolk, panko, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Choose your desired gratin dish. By starting from the outer edge of the dish, place a butterflied shrimp cut side down with the tail curling up and towards the center of the dish. Repeat with the other shrimps and place them in a single layer. Distribute the panko mixture over the shrimps evenly. Bake for 9 – 12 minutes until the shrimps are pink and cook through. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Make sure to use decent size shrimps. I have used smaller shrimps one time. And, I spent so much time peeling, deveining, and butterflying the shrimps. After that, I swear I would never use small shrimps for this recipe. It was just painful.
- Make sure you arrange the shrimps in a single layer for even cooking.
- It is good to serve this dish with pasta or rice.
- You can make this dish ahead of time. Just save the oven part until you are ready for dinner. Meanwhile, cover and keep the dish in the fridge.