Winter is almost here. In the cold weather, a good pot of beef short ribs just warms my heart. I have tried a few different short ribs recipes. This one has to be the best. The flavors were intense and came in layers. There were also many vegetables. If you eat this with rice, this recipe is a one-pot meal. For the leftover, those are perfect for lunch the next day. I can’t tell you how good this is. Try this yourself! I am going to make this again very soon!
Beef Short Ribs with Red Wine (Adapted from Ina Garten’s Beef Short Ribs)
4 ½ – 5 hours prep and cook time
– 1 ½ – 2 lbs beef short ribs or beef chuck cross rib (fat trimmed)
– 1 small fennel (fronds, stems, and core removed, large-diced)
– 1 leek (cleaned, and large-diced, white part only)
– 2 onions (large-diced)
– 6 celery stalks (large-diced)
– 2 carrots (peeled and large-diced)
– 5 garlic cloves (minced)
– Fresh thyme leaves
– 2 tablespoons tomato paste
– 1/3 – ½ bottle of dry red wine
– 3 – 4 cups beef stock (1 ½ – 2 14.5-ounce cans)
– 1 tablespoon brown sugar
– ¼ cup olive oil
– Ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- If it is needed, cut the short ribs into big cubes. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven or oven-proofed pot over medium-high heat, sear the meat in all sides until brown. Take out the ribs and set aside.
- In the same pot, pour in the olive oil. Add the fennel, leek, onion, celery, and carrots, cook over medium-low heat for 15 – 17 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste. Pour the red wine until all the vegetables are covered. Bring to a boil and cook over high heat until the liquid is reduced by half, about 7 – 10 minutes. Add 2 ½ teaspoons salt and 1 ½ teaspoon pepper. Add the thyme leaves into the pot.
- Place the roasted ribs back into the pot. Move the ribs around and mix them into the vegetables. Add the brown sugar. Pour in the beef stock until the liquid slightly covers the ribs and the vegetables. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover the pot with lid or aluminum foil, and bake for 2 ¼ – 2 ½ hours until the meat is very tender.
- Carefully remove the short ribs from the pot and side aside. Skim the excess fat. Cook the vegetables and sauce over medium heat for 20 – 30 minutes, until reduced. Put the ribs back into the pot and heat through. Serve immediately over white rice.