Chicken a la King is a really satisfying dish. I used to have it a lot in Hong Kong. The dish has a hint of sweetness from the cream and red pepper, and the savory from the chicken and butter. It is so good with rice. Just to think about it makes me hungry!
Chicken a la King
4 – 5 servings
– 1 lb chicken fillet/chicken thigh (1-inch cubed)
– 1 onion (roughly chopped)
– 5 oz button mushrooms (sliced)
– 5 tbsp flat-leaf parsley (finely chopped)
– 1 red bell pepper (cubed)
– ½ cup frozen peas
– 2 tbsp butter
– 1 tbsp oil
– 1/3 cup flour
– 1 ½ cup milk
– ½ cup heavy cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the oil and butter, and sauté the onions and chickens for about 5 minutes. Season salt and pepper. Toss in the button mushrooms, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat. Stir in the flour and mix well.
- Return the saucepan over low heat. Pour in the milk slowly in separate times. Cook until the sauce is thickened.
- Add the red bell peppers and peas in the saucepan. Cook for 5 minutes. Then pour in the cream and add in the parsley. Cook for another 2 minutes on low heat. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. If needed, add some sugar. Serve immediately over rice or pasta.