The Missing Lokness

Shrimp and Guacamole Tostada

March 20, 2013 Appetizer, Cook, Seafood 20 Comments

666B5265

I don’t always make Mexican food at home, because Bryan’s families are from El Salvador. We can easily eat those similar tasty food from Bryan’s mom. But when I make “Mexican” food, they are usually not very authentic and very different. This tostada is the perfect example. When I saw this recipe in Bev Cooks, I hesitated for a moment. Tostada traditionally is fried and it definitely does not top with guacamole. Because of the beautiful looking pictures and tasty combination, I decided to give it a try. It turned out to be amazing. The tortilla was crispy and great with melting cheese. The guacamole was creamy. Shrimps were well seasoned and meaty. These tostadas are good as main dish and good to serve with salad or veggies.

Shrimp and Guacamole Tostada (Adapted from Bev Cooks)

2 servings

Ingredients:

–   ¾ pound shrimps (peeled and deveined)

–   2 avocados

–   6 corn tortillas

–   1 ½ cup grated medium cheddar cheese

–   ½ cup cilantro (chopped)

–   juice from ½ – 1 lime

–   2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

–   cooking spray or vegetable oil

Dry rub for the shrimps:

–       2 teaspoons smoked paprika

–       1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin

–       ¾ teaspoon garlic powder

–       ½ teaspoon chili powder

–       salt

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
  2. With the avocados, cut in half, remove the pit, and scoop out the flesh to a medium bowl. Squeeze the juice of ½ lime over the flesh. Smash the flesh with a fork until less chunky. Stir in the cilantro and salt. Taste and adjust with more salt and lime juice. When the flavor is to your liking, add a few more drops of lime juice. Set aside.
  3. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the tortillas on the baking sheet in a single layer. Lightly coat both sides of the tortillas with cooking spray or vegetable oil. Bake in the oven for 6 minutes each side, 12 minutes total. Remove from oven and place the cheese over the tortillas. Return the tortillas to oven and cook for 4 more minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
  4. Meanwhile, pat dry the shrimps with paper towel and season with the dry rub. In a medium pan over medium high heat, heat up the extra virgin olive oil and sear the shrimps until pink and cook through. Remove from pan.
  5. To assemble the tostada, place a tortilla on a serving plate and top with 2 heaping teaspoons of guacamole. Place a few shrimps on top of the guacamole. Repeat with the rest of the tortilla. Serve immediately.

Tips:

1. You can use any cheddar cheese you want. I found medium cheddar not too mild and not too strong, which goes well with the tostada.
  2. Use more chili powder if you like spicy food.

Source: Read

20 Comments

1. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 20, 2013 at 2:22 pm

YUM! I love both shrimp and guacamole combo. This is so easy to make and I should prepare this for weeknight when we’re busy with activities!
    p.s. By the way, to answer your question on my blog, I got a big box of Meyer Lemons in my local costco (SF Bay Area). :)

• Lokness March 20, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Yes, definitely great for busy weeknights. Enjoy!
      Thanks for letting me know about the meyer lemons. I will check it out at Costco. It feels like everyone can easily get their hands on meyer lemons, but I have never seen them anywhere.

2. Simply Tia March 21, 2013 at 6:44 am

Yummy!!! I love shrimp a lot and I also love guacamole a lot. This is right up my street! YUMMY!

3. Keegan March 21, 2013 at 10:35 am

Love the dry rub for the shrimp. Sounds great!

• Lokness March 21, 2013 at 11:07 am

Thanks Keegan! Yes, the rub was very nice and packed with flavors. Enjoy.

4. miss mochi March 22, 2013 at 3:50 pm

This looks seriously tasty, especially the rub on the shrimp. I also love not having to fry anything!

• Lokness March 22, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Thank you Miss Mochi. I am with you about the not frying thing. I don’t really like to fry stuff. Waste a lot of oil and make a mess in the kitchen. Hate the clean up.

5. Abbe March 23, 2013 at 2:22 am

Anything with shrimp and guacamole is a definite winner in this house – will have to try this, and soon!

• Lokness March 25, 2013 at 10:46 am

Good to know! Let me know how it goes. :)

6. Zoe March 24, 2013 at 5:53 pm

My family will love eating these. I would love to try the dry rub for shrimps or other meat cooking.

• Lokness March 25, 2013 at 10:46 am

Yea, that rub can really be used on anything. Thanks for stopping by.

7. Amy Tong March 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I don’t always make Mexican food but theses are beautiful and elegant. Can’t wait to try some. The guacamole, shrimps and melted are looking so delicious together.

• Lokness March 27, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Thank you Amy. My eyes were caught by the color of these tostadas when I first saw them. And who doesn’t like melted cheese?

8. kale March 27, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I mean honestly, how can you go wrong with these ingredients! looks and IS totally delish! good job :)

• Lokness March 28, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Kale! Have a wonderful weekend!

9. Shannon April 29, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Amazing! I added black beans that I mashed and mixed a small amount of the shrimp seasoning then put on baked tortillas before adding shrimp. Also, I used whole wheat flour instead of corn tortillas. Delish!!

• Lokness April 30, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I am so happy to know that you like them, Shannon. The black beans sound like a great idea. It is almost like individual nacho. I may just add that next time too. Thanks for stopping by.

Leave A Response