After a good Thai dinner with chicken yellow curry and pineapple fried rice, it can’t be completed without a scoop of Thai tea ice cream. If you like Thai ice tea, you will love this ice cream. The orange color ice cream is vibrant and beautiful, and it is very creamy, cold with strong Thai tea flavors. Delicious! If you just want to make Thai ice tea too, read my recipe.
Thai Tea Ice Cream (Adapted from seriouseats.com)
- 3 cups half and half
- ½ cup Thai tea (the tea leaves mix)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- pinch of salt
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook the half and half until it forms bubbles around the edge of the pan and steam begins to rise. Remove from heat. Stir in the Thai tea and steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain the half and half through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl. Discard the tea leaves.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar, and salt together until thicken and pale in color. Temper the yolks by pouring 1 cup warmed half and half mixture into the yolks while whisking. Continue adding warmed mixture until combine. Pour everything back into the saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 5 to 10 minutes, until the mixture is thickened and the cream coats the back of the spoon.
- Pour the mixture through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl. Refrigerated until completely chilled.
- Finish the mixture in an ice-cream maker by following the ice-cream maker instruction. Transfer the ice-cream to a container and freeze for a few hours before serving.
Where can you buy Thai tea mix?
Shun Fat Supermarket (1635 S San Gabriel Blvd, San Gabriel, CA 91776)