I found this recipe by watching a Hong Kong cooking TV show. At first, I was a bit hesitated with the combination of the flavors. But it came out to be amazing! The more I eat it, the more I like it. The butter was creamy, sweet, tart, and a pinch of kick from the black pepper. It is the perfect side dish. This recipe is so simple, and you can definitely make ahead. Give it a try.
Lemon Pepper Honey Toast (Adapted from My Private Kitchen)
– 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
– 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest
– 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
– ½ teaspoon honey
– ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
– 1/3 – ½ loaf French bread
- Combine butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, and ground pepper together. Smash and mix everything well with a fork. Season with a pinch of salt. Taste to try, and adjust to your own taste.
- Cut about 6 slices 1-inch thick toasts with the French bread.
- In a large pan over medium-low heat, toast the bread slices until golden brown. Spread the butter on each toasts immediately. Serve warm.
- I like French bread because I think it is soft inside and crunchy outside after being toasted. But you can use any bread you want.
- Lemon zest gives the butter a lot more flavors. But if you are lazy, you can skip the zest.