The Missing Lokness

Mussels, Clams and Shrimps in Garlic-Tomato Broth

August 14, 2013 Cook, Seafood 14 Comments

666B8309

Oh seafood! A few years back, Bryan and I visited my friends Cecilia and Kelvin. They treated us this amazing seafood dish. The clams and mussels were perfectly cooked. The garlic tomato broth was sweet and light, which was a great dipping sauce for the bread. Bryan and I licked everything clean. After that, I always think about that dish. Recently, I finally asked my friends for the recipe. I made this dish a couple of times already. Bryan and I absolutely love it!

I didn’t start cooking fresh shellfish until last year. It can be a bit intimating and scary for the first or second time, especially seeing them opening, closing and breathing. But don’t be scared. I promise you will get a hang of it very soon. Fresh seafood is so much better than frozen.

Try this seafood dish! I know you will enjoy it!

666B8320

Mussels, Clams and Shrimps in Garlic-Tomato Broth (Adapted from The Splendid Table)

2 servings

Ingredients:

–   2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for bread

–   1 large yellow onion (diced)

–   2 medium tomatoes (chopped)

–   2 garlic gloves (thinly sliced), plus 3 garlic glove for bread

–   ¼ cup dry white wine

–   1¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth

–   2 pounds clams (scrubbed and soaked)

–   ½ pound mussels (scrubbed and soaked)

–   ½ pound large shrimps (deveined, keep the shells on)

–   ½ loaf French bread (cut into 1-inch slices)

–   salt

–   ground black pepper

Directions:

1. In a large heavy pot over medium heat, add the olive oil. Cook the onion until soft and translucent, about 8 – 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and garlic. Cook until the tomatoes are soft, about 4 – 5 minutes. Add white wine and simmer for 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
  2. Add clams and mussels. Stir and cover with a lid. Simmer for 4 minutes. Take out any open clams and mussels to serving plates. Add the shrimps, put the lid back on and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. Take out all the clams and mussels. Discard any unopened ones to the trash. Make sure the shrimps are pink and cook through. Transfer to serving plates.
  3. Meanwhile, preheat a griddle or a large pan over medium-high heat. Lightly brush one side of bread and cook on the griddle until nicely toasted. Flip the bread slices over and cook the other side. Transfer the bread to a chopping board. Take a garlic clove and rub it evenly on the olive oil side of a toasted bread slice. Repeat with the rest of the bread slices. Place all the bread in a bread basket or plate.
  4. Back to the broth. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Top each plate of seafood with a few scoops of broth. Serving immediately with toasted garlic bread.

Tips:

1. Storing the clams and mussels: If not using immediately, place them in a large bowl and cover with a wet cloth. Keep them in the fridge for no more than 24 hours until ready to use.
  2. Cleaning the clams and mussels: Scrub them with a brush and rinse under cold water. Place them in a bowl of ice water. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons cornmeal for every 4 cups of water. Keep in the fridge for 1 – 2 hours. When ready to use, drain and rinse.

Source:  Read

14 Comments

1. Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com August 15, 2013 at 7:37 am

I love seafood – this dish looks scrumptious :)

• Lokness August 15, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Thank you Shashi. The shellfish were fresh and sweet. That broth was irresistible! My husband and I ate tons of bread, so we could dip up all that flavorful broth. Thanks for stopping by.

2. Amy (Savory Moments) August 16, 2013 at 3:45 am

Oh yum! This dish looks just perfect. The seafood look so sweet and I bet the broth is a nice compliment.

• Lokness August 16, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Thanks Amy. The broth was incredible! I can really drink it all. :) Have a great weekend!

3. Abbe@This is How I Cook August 16, 2013 at 8:12 pm

This is a great dish Lokness. I would call it a cioppino which is a truly classic dish. Thanks for posting this and for visiting my site! All i would need is some sourdough to soak up that great broth!

• Lokness August 20, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Thank you. I wasn’t sure what the definition of cioppino is. But either way, you will definitely need a lot of sourdough bread to soak up that broth! :)

4. Nami | Just One Cookbook August 18, 2013 at 1:39 am

I love seafood and this looks so good! I honestly can eat seafood dish everyday if I can… I made Cioppino a while ago but now it’s time to make some good seafood stew again. Great recipe, Lokness!

• Lokness August 23, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Hahaha… Thank you. I saw the cioppino on your blog. It looks so good! Thanks for stopping by.

5. Anne ~ Uni Homemaker August 19, 2013 at 11:09 pm

This looks so hearty and comforting! I love seafood stew. Delicious!

• Lokness August 23, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Thank you. Yes, seafood stew is amazing. They are great all year round. :)

6. Bill September 1, 2013 at 7:07 am

Thank you so much for dropping by my blog. I’m glad you did because now I know about yours. I love fresh seafood in a light broth like this. I’m totally making this recipe! Awesome recipe and great post!

• Lokness September 26, 2013 at 9:53 am

Thank you Bill! Sorry for the late reply. Yes, a simple light broth just highlights all the amazing flavors from the fresh and sweet seafood. :)

7. Natalie Gruendl | Tastes Lovely September 26, 2013 at 7:26 am

My husband would love this! He loves Cioppino, but I have never made it for him. Bookmarking this to use your recipe.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the nice comment : )

• Lokness September 26, 2013 at 9:54 am

I hope you guys will like this! Don’t forget to get some more bread. My husband and I can eat a whole loaf of bread by dipping that broth. Enjoy!

Leave A Response