The Missing Lokness

Braised Pork Spare Ribs with Orange Juice

May 16, 2013 Cook, Pork 15 Comments

666B6353

Another braised dish! Yea! I really like this one. The flavors are different and unique. The meat was braised until super tender and fell off the bones. With that sweet and savory orange sauce, every bite was incredible. Bryan and I ate more rice than normal too, because the sauce was too damn amazing!

If you can get some sweet oranges and pork spare ribs today, I urge you to make this dish. Pork spare ribs maybe a bit harder to find. Bristol Farms didn’t have them, but they said that they can order them which may take a week. I got mine from Ralph’s and I had the butcher cut it into individual ribs. Hope you will find them!

Braised Pork Spare Ribs with Orange Juice (Adapted from Christine’s Recipes)

2 servings

Ingredients:

-   2 pounds pork spare ribs (St. Louis style ribs)

-   kosher salt

-   ground white pepper

-   1 teaspoon grated ginger

-   1 teaspoon minced garlic

-   3 teaspoons dry white wine

-   oil

Orange Sauce:

-   1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (about 4 medium navel oranges)

-   ¾ teaspoon orange zest

-   1 cup chicken broth

-   2 tablespoons soy sauce

-   2 tablespoons light brown sugar

Directions:

1. Wash and clean the spare ribs with water. Dry with paper towels. Season with salt and white pepper. Set aside.
  2. In a large pot over medium-high heat, add all the ingredients for the orange sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
  3. Meanwhile, in a large pan over medium heat, heat up 1 tablespoon oil. Sear the ribs on all sides until golden brown. Move the ribs on the side and stir in the garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in the wine and mix well with the ribs.
  4. Put the ribs, garlic, and ginger in the orange sauce. Cover the pot with a lid. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to simmer and cook for 2 hours until the ribs are dark brown in color and meat can easily fall off the bones. Turn the ribs every once a while to ensure even cooking. At the last 15 minutes of cooking, the sauce should be thickening up like syrup. If not, remove the lid and let it reduce. If the sauce is too thick, add little water. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve immediately with hot steamed rice.

Tips:

1. Use sweet oranges. You can have 1 not-too-sweet orange. But if too many, the dish will be sour.
  2. Sieve the orange juice to remove pulp before using.

666B6331

Source: Read

15 Comments

1. Jayne May 16, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Mmm.. interesting change up with pork and orange. Looks so good!

• Lokness May 17, 2013 at 10:09 am

Thanks, Jayne. It was really really good! You have got to give this dish a try! Have a great weekend!

2. Abbe May 17, 2013 at 1:47 pm

This looks absolutely gorgeous – myhubby LOVES pork and my son LOVES ribs. I reckon I’ll be their favourite person if I cook them this (I should already be their favourite person, but I can’t play football!).

• Lokness May 20, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Haha… Thank you! I am sure you are their favorite person, even though you can’t play football. Hope you will give this a try and you all will enjoy the ribs!

3. B. May 17, 2013 at 8:05 pm

It’s getting cold here in Australia, and this will be the perfect food for the cold nights. This look really good. I got to try it out.

• Lokness May 20, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Yes, this is a great dish for cooler weather. Enjoy! Thanks for stopping by.

4. Dawn May 18, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Yum! I love braised anything and I love spare ribs-but barely ever make them at home-I’ll have to try this!

• Lokness May 20, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I haven’t made pork rib before this dish too. I am so glad I made this. Easy and delicious. Just perfect!

5. Monica May 23, 2013 at 8:46 am

Man, these look incredible! Pork is so good with the sweetness from fruit! Yum!

• Lokness May 28, 2013 at 9:40 am

Thank you Monica. It is very true! This dish is amazing! Hope you will try it some times.

6. Anne ~ Uni Homemaker May 25, 2013 at 2:31 pm

This sounds delicious! I can get real messy with this. Love the idea of braising with orange juice.

• Lokness May 28, 2013 at 9:44 am

Thanks, Anne. I love that the orange juice got thicken a bit at the end and turned into a glaze. And you can taste the sweet orange in every bite of the pork. Love it. :)

7. Amy Tong June 4, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I love citrus with my meat. The sweet and tangy flavors are really wonderful with the savory meat. :) These Braised pork spare ribs with orange juice sound wonderful and finger licking good!

• Lokness June 5, 2013 at 9:46 am

Thank you Amy! Yes, finger licking good! I absolutely love these spare ribs! You really should try this.

8. EverGrill (@evergrill) July 5, 2013 at 3:02 am

Spare ribs and Orange Juice. What could you possible want more? ;-)
    Ever tried grilling it?